Man Utd veteran Matic facing Inter Milan dilemmaby Paul Vegas8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United veteran Nemanja Matic is wanted by Inter Milan ahead of the January market.The Serbian midfielder has fallen out of favour under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this season and has been an unused sub five times already.He is ready to quit Old Trafford but would like to stay until the end of the campaign to finish off the remainder of his contract, says The Sun.Inter chief Antonio Conte is desperate to add another midfielder to his squad after an impressive start to his reign.He has made the ex-Chelsea ace, who is seen as a cheaper option than others around Europe, his top transfer target.It is understood talks have already begun between Matic’s representatives and Inter over the possibility of a deal. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
APTN National NewsIt looks like team Nunavut is beginning to find its stride at the 2011 Canada Winter Games.Speed skating is relatively new to the territory.As APTN National News reporter James Hopkin found out, the sport is picking up speed at a break-neck pace.
Canada’s main stock index saw mild gains Monday while U.S. markets surged higher as worries of a trade war with China eased.The rebound came after Chinese officials signalled some flexibility on policies including foreign investment in China and South Korea reached a new deal on steel with the U.S., said Craig Fehr, Canadian markets strategist at Edward Jones in St. Louis.“If we look at the equity markets at large, I would say this is the collective deep breath of investors today, after the big sell-off last week predicated on the rising fears that a trade war could be breaking out.”The S&P/TSX composite index closed up 74.82 points at 15,298.56, boosted by metals and energy stocks.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average closed up 669.40 points to 24,202.60 for its largest one-day gain since August 2015, regaining almost half what it had given up last week. The S&P 500 index ended up 70.29 points to 2,658.55 and the Nasdaq composite index was up 227.87 points to 7,220.54.U.S. President Donald Trump sparked trade fears last week after imposing tariffs on some US$60 billion worth of Chinese imports as well as investment restrictions, adding to trade tension on the steel and aluminum tariffs he moved to impose earlier in the month.China has promised to defend its interests, raising fears of rising protectionism on both sides, but recent signs of concessions on both sides is easing concerns, said Fehr.“Given the signs we’re getting that there’s perhaps some concession to be made related to some of the tariffs that have been announced, I think the markets are finding some solace in that and we’re getting a bit of a relief rally after last week’s declines.”Canada didn’t see the same gains Monday as U.S. stocks because it hadn’t been hit as hard, he said.“The domestic market didn’t see the declines last week like we saw in the S&P 500 and the Dow. The TSX is also being held back a little bit today by the weakness in oil prices.”The Canadian dollar closed at 77.60, down 0.18 of a US cent, also held back by oil prices, said Fehr, but still up from recent lows after higher-than-expected inflation data last week.The May crude contract closed down 33 cents to US$65.55 per barrel and the May natural gas contract was up two cents to US$2.66 per mmBTU.The April gold contract closed up US$5.10 to US$1,355.00 an ounce and the May copper contract was down two cents to US$2.97 a pound.The rise in gold prices made it one of the biggest sector gains on the TSX. Kinross Gold Corp. climbed 4.03 per cent after the metal’s price gains, as well as after settling with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission over civil charges that it failed to ensure its payments in Africa were not being used to bribe government officials.
NICOSIA, Cyprus — The chief of the Cyprus Association of Banks say Cypriot lenders are concerned that their adoption of some of the toughest anti-money laundering regulations in the world has not been fully recognized abroad.Association Director Michalis Kammas told The Associated Press Monday that banks are challenging “outdated perceptions” and are working to raise awareness about reform efforts.Kammas says more rigorous supervision and directives have led to the closure of a “significant number” of bank accounts since 2014.Prior to a 2013 banking sector crisis that brought Cyprus to the brink of bankruptcy, the east Mediterranean island nation, which is a member of the European Union, was hounded by allegations that it was a tax and money laundering haven.The Associated Press
Lahore: Pakistan’s former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was released from jail on Wednesday, a day after the Supreme Court granted him six weeks’ bail to receive medical treatment within the country. Sharif, 69, was lodged in Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail since December last year, serving a seven-year imprisonment in the Al-Azizia Steel Mills graft case. The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) supremo, who denies wrongdoing, has suffered four angina attacks in recent weeks, according to his daughter Maryam Nawaz. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US On Tuesday, a three-member bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa accepted Sharif’s appeal and allowed him to get medical treatment from any health facility of his choice within the country. Sharif is barred from leaving Pakistan. The deposed prime minister’s supporters and party workers gathered in large numbers outside the jail and showered his car with flowers as he left the area. Some PML-N party workers moved along with Sharif’s car till his residence. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The three-time prime minister was received by PML-N leaders and his family at his house in the Jati Umra Raiwind area here. Sharif’s release got delayed as the court order and other required documents could not reach the jail for more than 10 hours after the bench’s direction. The Supreme Court observed in its order that several senior doctors had suggested that Sharif’s history of hypertension, cardiac and renal ailments may present a “mild-moderate risk” if he is to undergo angiography. Therefore, granting him relief for a limited period is a “reasonable” request, the top court said. It directed Sharif to deposit two bail bonds worth Rs 5 million Pakistani rupees (USD 35,423) each, receive medical treatment and surrender after six weeks. PML-N president Shahbaz Sharif thanked the court for “meeting the merits of justice”. “We thank the SC for considering gravity of the situation in the light of the medical reports of PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif. We also thank the nation and workers of the PMLN whose prayers had made this day possible,” he said. He said that Sharif’s health and well-being is the utmost priority of the party and that would be their primal focus. The Sharif family has been complaining that the government of Prime Minister Imran Khan was not providing adequate treatment to the three-time former premier who has serious health complications. Three corruption cases – Avenfield properties, Flagship investment and Al-Azizia steel mills – were registered against the Sharif family by the anti-graft body in 2017 following a judgment by the Supreme Court that disqualified Sharif in the Panama Papers case in 2017. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison in the Avenfield corruption case in July 2018 which was related to his properties in London. Later he was given bail in September. In December, the accountability court convicted him in the Al-Azizia graft case but acquitted him in the Flagship corruption case. The Al-Azizia Steel Mill case is related to setting up steel mills in Saudi Arabia allegedly with corruption money.
OSU sophomore defensive lineman Joey Bosa sacks Cincinnati redshirt-sophomore quarterback Gunner Kiel in a game Sept. 27 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won 50-28Credit: Chelsea Spears / Multimedia editorWhen Ohio State’s Joey Bosa drilled Cincinnati quarterback Gunner Kiel on Saturday and forced a fumble that ultimately resulted in a safety, the record crowd at Ohio Stadium erupted.Bosa wasn’t even sure where the ball landed.“I just made a move inside and my eyes got big and I ran as fast as I can and hit him as hard as I could,” Bosa, a sophomore defensive lineman, said Saturday following the game. “I actually thought he got the ball off so I stood up and went to walk back to the line, but I saw the ball pop out.”The play not only electrified the fans and gave OSU a 16-7 lead, but it seemed to ignite the defense for a stretch in the first quarter as the Buckeyes forced the Bearcats into two straight punts.Co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Luke Fickell said Monday that the play of Bosa, who leads the Buckeyes with 2.5 sacks, is at least partially because of his 6-foot-5-inch, 278-pound frame.“He is a very dominating force. He is a guy who has the speed to get the edge, but he’s got the power to do some things inside,” Fickell said. “It is an unbelievable combination. I haven’t seen a whole lot of guys like it, but we are still going to expect him to continue to grow.”Junior cornerback Armani Reeves said Bosa’s play on the field makes him glad Bosa’s a Buckeye.“He’s a freak. He is a great player and when you see him (make) those hits like that … it’s like watching greatness,” Reeves said Monday. “I am just happy he is on our side.”Coach Urban Meyer acknowledged Bosa’s physical skills, but added the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., product is also successful because of his upbringing.“He just goes, he practices that way from day one. It’s a product of, you know, his family. His dad’s got an incredible football background,” Meyer said Monday. “I thought we’d have a guy that would be pretty much game-ready because he went to a really quality high school program.”Bosa’s high school, St. Thomas Aquinas, has been known to produce high-quality football talent, including former OSU safety Nate Salley, former Wisconsin player and current New England Patriot running back James White and former Chicago Bear Brian Piccolo, who was the inspiration for the movie “Brian’s Song.”Meyer also said that while he believed Bosa would be ready to play coming out of high school, he is still impressed with how the sophomore has performed so far.“I didn’t imagine it to be this ready,” Meyer said. “He’s extremely strong and quick and relentless. And on top of that. he loves and understands the game.”Meyer has coached an impressive array of defensive linemen in his coaching career, including two at Florida who were first-round draft picks (Jarvis Moss, Denver, 2007 and Derrick Harvey, Jacksonville, 2008), however, he said Bosa reminds him most of a player he has coached at OSU.“I think John Simon. He’s a little more talented than John, a little longer,” Meyer said. “But John Simon had that same — you watch those two play in practice and compete and there’s a mindset.“Those are two good people to be in company, everybody knows how we all feel about John Simon. But to even mention someone in that same vein, who is a few inches taller and a little longer, that’s pretty rare air, those two guys.”Meyer’s comparison could be spot on, as Simon led the Buckeyes in sacks during his senior season in Columbus, something Bosa is on pace to do just two years later.With such high praise and potential, Fickell said he, along with the rest of the coaching staff, is expecting even more from Bosa, who was named OSU’s defensive player of the game following his play against Cincinnati.“The sky is the limit for that guy with his abilities. We are going to continue to put things upon his shoulders,” Fickell said. “He goes hard, he is physical, he does all the things we ask him to do, now we are going to ask him to continue to grow — strive for greatness and not be satisfied with where you are.”Bosa and the Buckeyes are scheduled to hit the field again Saturday at noon against the Maryland Terrapins at Byrd Stadium in College Park, Md.
England defender Joe Gomez has today penned down a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.Gomez, 21, committed his future to the Reds by signing a fresh deal at Melwood on Monday morning, extending his three-and-a-half-year stay with the club.The rising star originally arrived on Merseyside from Charlton Athletic in the summer of 2015 and is happy with the progress he has made.Gomez told Liverpoolfc.com: “Signing this new deal means the world to me.Top 5 Premier League players to watch for next weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Premier League’s Top 5 players to watch this weekend.After…“I’ve been at the club a few years now and have had the pleasure to play for Liverpool and experience what that means, so I am delighted to get the chance to extend my contract here.“I love the club, I love playing and learning here, and I am happy for that to continue.”Gomez is currently facing another spell on the sidelines due to a lower-leg fracture picked up against Burnley last week, though thankfully he’s set to return sooner rather than later in the New Year.
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#UnitedStates, February 14, 2018 – Miami, FL – Love is in the air and so is the buzz around Season 4 of Caribbean’s Next Top Model (CNTM) as it expands to include aspiring young hopefuls from The Bahamas when it kicks off on Valentine’s Day, February 14 at 9pm on Flow 1. According to Garry Sinclair, Caribbean President, C&W Communications, “We’re delighted to be on-board once again for the 4th season of CNTM which continues to draw bigger and bigger audiences as a platform for young Caribbean women to develop careers in the fashion industry.”Viewers are in for another captivating series which was filmed against the vibrant, rhythmic backdrop that is uniquely Jamaica, home of Season 3 winner, Shamique Simms. Miss Universe ‘98, Wendy Fitzwilliams who is also Executive Producer, Host and Chief Judge along with the sought-after fashion designer Socrates McKinney and world renowned Australian photographer, Pedro Virgil all return to the screen this season. The expansion to The Bahamas together with the poise, grace and stunning appearance of the aspiring models set against the eclectic charm of the islands makes for another scintillating series.The off-screen excitement continues via social media as Caribbean viewers can follow their favourite girls on the show using the #CaribeNTM for exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and candid interviews. Flow customers will have the added benefit of watching on-the-go from their tablet or mobile device with the MyFlow app as well as catch up on the past three seasons of CNTM with Flow’s Video on Demand.Sinclair added, “Flow is committed to building Caribbean content for Caribbean audiences. In the end, regardless of who wins, the Caribbean benefits from productions that showcase the diversity, energy, talent and creativity of our people for the world to see.”Executive Producer Fitzwilliams lauded the production team and the aspiring models as well as she praised Flow for their commitment to the project. “It has been a tremendous challenge to take a production of this magnitude from a mere concept to amazingly a 4th season. Thanks to Flow for sticking with us, and thanks to the production team and the girls for showing up every season. Additionally, we couldn’t have done it without the support of the Caribbean people, and our loyal viewers – thank you. Stay tuned to Flow 1, the only place you can catch CNTM every Wednesday at 9pm. Let the season begin!”“Caribbean’s Next Top Model” is produced by Starfish Media Ltd, based on the “Next Top Model” format licensed by CBS Studios International. Executive Producers are Dionyse Fitzwilliam, Wendy Fitzwilliam and Kiran Maharaj.Currently, “America’s Next Top Model” is under license in over 100 markets around the world and has 20 international versions in production, which includes Caribbean’s Next Top Model. “America’s Next Top Model” and the “America’s Next Top Model” format are licensed internationally by CBS Studios International.Press Release: Flow
Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton has heaped praises on the club’s central defensive pairing of Shane Duffy and Lewis Dunk.The Seagulls’ success in establishing themselves in the Premier League owes a lot to their defensive capabilities, built on the reliable centre-back partnership of Dunk and Duffy.Dunk, who’s Brighton’s vice-captain became an England international last November, while Duffy is a regular with the Republic of Ireland national team.Hughton says the pair are vital members of his team and feels both players can improve by watching Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk play.“What Van Dijk is to Liverpool, that’s what our two are to us,” said Hughton, according to Belfast Telegraph.“We know what level he is but if I’m looking at what you would regard as two outstanding centre-halves at our level, ours are as valuable to us as what he is to them.”Hughton’s first words after being sacked Manuel R. Medina – May 22, 2019 The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager says he was “hugely disappointed and surprised” when he was fired from the club.“The two we have will look at the best around where they can learn from, what they can pick up from. At the moment, he (Van Dijk) is a great role model. He doesn’t miss many games, is good in both boxes and is a top, top all-around player.”Despite being four points clear at the top of the Premier League, Liverpool was beaten 2-1 by second-placed Manchester City in their last league game, before crashing out of the FA Cup courtesy of a 2-1 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday.Asked if the Liverpool can end their long wait for a first division title, Hughton said the Reds are favourites but “wouldn’t put money on it”.“I think they are favourites simply because of the points difference, and I think they’ve been outstanding,” he said.“But I couldn’t tell you who will win it. And certainly, I wouldn’t put money on it.”