Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Email Advertisement TAGSActive Retirement IrelandAnn DoyleHome Instead Senior Carelimerickrte Former RTE newsreader Ann DoyleFORMER RTÉ newsreader Ann Doyle will be be guest speaker at the Mid West Active Retirement Health and Wellbeing Day in the Radisson Blu Hotel this Thursday, June 4.Organised by Active Retirement Ireland and Home Instead Senior Care, the event is billed as a “celebration of life” with attendees of all ages enjoying a fun day out, showcasing the fact that a full active life is not reserved for the young.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Both organisations say they have come together to bring a “positive, fun-filled day to the local region”.Nick Condon of Active Retirement Ireland commented: “We are delighted to be hosting this in partnership with Home Instead Senior Care. It is about celebrating life and we are sure it will be a successful event filled with laughter and learning.”A spokesperson for Home Instead Senior Care said guests can avail of valuable information while also partaking in fun activities at the free event. Facebook Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Twitter WhatsApp Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous article€51.2 million EU payout for Limerick farmersNext article‘Deafening silence’ of Taoiseach in Denis O’Brien saga criticised Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print NewsLocal NewsAnn headlines Limerick ‘celebration of life’By Alan Jacques – June 4, 2015 705 Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Linkedin Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme KFO says EU fish quotas deal is “a mixed bag” Previous articleRenewed hope that Department of Agriculture jobs could be relocated to StrabaneNext articleStrabane Town Centre reopened after gas leak News Highland PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Twitter Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest News Facebook Google+ Google+ Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released 70% of Cllrs nationwide threatened, harassed and intimidated over past 3 years – Report By News Highland – December 20, 2012 WhatsApp Facebook Pinterest HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Twitter WhatsApp The government says Ireland has won important concessions on fishing quotas from Europe.Negotiations on the quotas took place overnight, and only wrapped up at 7 o’clock this morning.The end result means Ireland’s been granted a 216-thousand tonne fish quota for 2013.The European Commission was proposing drastic cutbacks, but the Minister for the Marine says what we’ve ended up with represents an increase in the quota.Agriculture and Marine Minister Simon Coveney says the Irish team presented strong scientific evidence that convinced the Commission to change their minds.Among those observing proceedings in Brussels over the past three days was K FO Chief Executive Sean O’Donaghue.He says there have been some gains, but also some losses, and the overall outcome is a mixed bag.Sean O’Donaghue says the North West may have fared slightly better than the south……….[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/fishkfo.mp3[/podcast]
Four-piece jam band Aqueous welcomed fans to the Town Ballroom late last month for a sold-out New Year’s Eve performance in their hometown of Buffalo, New York. The night’s NYE show capped off a big year for the emerging jam band, who spent most of their fall and winter touring around the country in promotion of their latest studio album, Color Wheel, which was released independently back on October 12th.One of the lengthy jams played during Aqueous’ first set on New Year’s Eve was “Skyway”, with guitarist Mike Gantzer handling the lead on vocals. As the jam moves out of the song’s main theme, drummer Rob Houk lays down a hard-hitting groove for Gantzer and Dave Loss to toy around with. Midway through the jam, the quartet picks up the tempo out of a more trancey segment, and Gantzer absolutely lets loose on his beautiful PRS guitar, firing off a series of quick-witted solos.Watch pro-shot video of “Skyway” from Aqueous’ NYE show below:Aqueous – “Skyway”[Video: Aqueous]The second set and encore were highlighted by a monster set-opening take on “Strange Times”, as well as classic rock covers of the Grateful Dead‘s “Truckin’” and The Beatles‘ “Hey Jude”. Aqueous previously shared pro-shot video of the nearly-19-minute “Strange Times”, a heady original from their 2012 Willy Is 40 LP.The October arrival of Color Wheel was not the band’s only album release of 2018. They also shared an album of live recordings over the summer from their sold-out show at Denver’s Bluebird Theater back on June 11th. Aqueous will head back out for the start of their 2019 winter tour alongside BIG Something early next month, beginning with a show on February 7th at Bloomington, IN’s Bluebird.For a full list of Aqueous’ upcoming tour dates and ticketing information, head to the band’s website.Setlist: Aqueous | Town Ballroom | Buffalo, NY | 12/31/18Set One: Random Company, Realize Your Light, The Boys Are Back In Town¹, Split The Difference > Skyway > Eon Don² ³ > Timmy’s Blades > Eon DonSet Two: Strange Times⁴, Weight of the Word, How High You Fly > Origami > Auld Lang Syne > Truckin’⁵ > AldehydeEncore: In It (For Me)⁶ > Hey Jude⁷Notes:¹ Debut, Thin Lizzy cover² BUSTOUT: LTP 7/2/17 (137 shows), funky version³ Xxplosive (Dr. Dre) tease⁴ Jurassic Park Theme (John Williams) tease⁵ Debut, Grateful Dead cover⁶ Live Debut⁷ BUSTOUT: LTP 2/26/14 (511 shows)
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Alberto G. / CC BY 2.0 High school students who were blocked by technical issues from submitting their completed online Advanced Placement exams sued Wednesday demanding their work be counted. The executive who oversees the program said they likely would have to retake the tests instead.About 15,550 of the more than 3 million timed tests taken at home during the past two weeks resulted in errors, according to data provided by the College Board.Students have publicly shared their anger and frustration at watching the clock run out while they frantically tried to submit responses.Mika Newey got a series of increasingly upsetting texts from her daughter, Claire, as the 17-year-old tried seven or eight times to upload an AP English essay from their Hobbs, New Mexico home last week: “Mom, I finished the test. I thought I did real good. It won’t submit.”“It won’t submit. It won’t go through.”And finally, “I’m going to have to retake the test.”“I was freaking out. It was very stressful,” Claire Newey said by phone, adding she took AP government and calculus exams with no trouble on previous days.Students who score well enough on the College Board’s AP exams have a chance to earn college credit. The three-hour exams are typically taken on paper in school but were quickly redesigned as 45-minute online exams when the coronavirus shut down schools and put a halt to large gatherings.College Board President David Coleman said he understands the frustration of those who couldn’t submit their results but said no student has lost the chance at college credit.“The worst recourse is that they will have to retest,” he said by phone, noting security issues surrounding accepting work saved by students last week.“We are looking at everything we can do to see if there’s any submitted work that we can grade and score,” he said.“The only thing that would stop us is not some bureaucratic inflexibility or a cold heart. …. We just have to work within the limits of our secure procedures,” he said.The technical problems, Coleman said, appeared to arise from students working on older devices with outdated browsers or newer smartphones that made it difficult for them to upload photos of their written responses.The issues affected half of 1% of tests, the College Board said.Students testing this week have been given the backup option of submitting answers through email, and customer service and makeup requests have decreased.Mika Newey said that took the pressure off of her daughter this week but wondered why such a safety net was not available from the start.Despite the shift to computer testing, a slightly higher percentage of students completed the exams through the first seven days of testing than in a typical year, the College Board said.A class-action lawsuit demands the College Board accept the time-stamped answers of students who could not submit them last week instead of requiring re-testing in June. The suit also seeks more than $500 million in damages from the not-for-profit College Board and Educational Testing Service, which administers the tests, claiming, among other things, breach of contract, negligence and violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.“The first week of the 2020 AP exams revealed the deep digital divide among AP test-takers, and it became clear how the revised exam format disproportionately impacted certain groups of students, including those who are underresourced, who lack access to technology or quiet workspaces, students with disabilities, and students testing in non-ideal time zones,” according to the lawsuit filed in federal court in California.Along with students and families, the suit was filed by the nonprofit National Center for Fair & Open Testing, known as FairTest, which targets the misuse of standardized tests. FairTest interim Executive Director Bob Schaeffer and the plaintiffs’ attorneys accused the College Board of rushing out the computerized exams to preserve revenue. Students or schools pay about $94 per test.“This is inexcusable in light of the unprecedented challenges faced by students and their families this year,” Los Angeles attorney Phillip Baker and attorney Marci Lerner Miller of Newport Beach, California, said in a written statement.The College Board’s general counsel, Peter Schwartz, said it would vigorously defend itself against the lawsuit, which he called factually wrong and legally baseless.“This lawsuit is a PR stunt masquerading as a legal complaint being manufactured by an opportunistic organization that prioritizes media coverage for itself,” Schwartz said in a statement.ETS did not immediately comment.
___The North Carolina High School Athletic Association will lift its dead period next week to allow for in-person workouts for prep athletes.The organization announced Monday that it would allow limited workouts beginning June 15, though education agencies across the Southern U.S. state must also permit it at a local level.Restrictions for the first phase of return include having workouts of no longer than 90 minutes, with no more than 25 people at outdoor venues and no more than 10 in gymnasiums. They also require daily temperature checks and social distancing, along with instructing schools to keep the same groupings of athletes working together each time.Locker rooms and weight rooms remain closed for now. The restrictions include no shared use of athletic equipment. Guidelines for future phases will be developed and shared at a later date. NASCAR fans won’t be allowed to attend when the Cup Series races at Martinsville Speedway on Wednesday night, but the sport’s impact will surely be felt by Henry County residents the next day.The Joey Logano Foundation, the NASCAR Foundation and Elevation Outreach are partnering to bring a Convoy of Hope to Martinsville with the goal of providing 40,000 pounds of food and supplies to approximately 1,000 families during a drive-thru distribution at NASCAR’s oldest track.The effort is similar to one conducted at Darlington Raceway in May.“After seeing how impactful Darlington went, we quickly moved forward and scheduled our next event with Convoy of Hope in Martinsville,” Logano, chairman of his foundation, said in a release. The COVID-19 pandemic forced NASCAR to pause its season in March. The race at Martinsville will be the seventh since the series went back to racing without fans last month. ___The Italian soccer federation has approved plans for a playoff or the use of an algorithm with no champion declared if the season is stopped again.Serie A has been suspended since March 9 because of the coronavirus outbreak. It is scheduled to resume on June 20.The plans were approved by an 18-3 vote at an FIGC council meeting. Italian soccer clubs had asked for no champion or relegations unless mathematically certain.Playoffs are the preferred idea but an algorithm will be used to determine the final standings if matches cannot be held because of time restrictions or the worsening of the pandemic. But there will not be a champion if the algorithm is used. The top two men’s divisions are the only ones set to resume their regular seasons. The women’s Serie A will not restart.___English soccer club Brighton is offering fans the chance to have cardboard cutouts of themselves in the stadium when the Premier League resumes.Games in the league will be closed to spectators for the remainder of the season because of the coronavirus pandemic.Five of Brighton’s nine remaining games are at home. The first is on June 20 against Arsenal. A statement by the Serie A women’s players says they are against it because “it doesn’t guarantee true fairness.”They say “we all go out on the field or no one does.”Juventus, AC Milan and Sassuolo are the only three clubs which have managed to resume training. Many of the clubs also have players who are still abroad.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Fans need to send in a photo wearing a Brighton jersey and pay $25.___Italy’s female soccer players are against the possibility of a playoff format to finish their season.A decision on whether and how the Serie A women’s league will resume is expected to be made during an Italian soccer federation meeting.One of the proposals is to have playoffs. That would involve half of the 12 Serie A teams. The Latest: Orioles GM Elias confident baseball will return Associated Press In a conference call with media on Monday, Elias said he was “very confident we’re going to play.” The return of baseball would be a bright spot in a year marred by the coronavirus pandemic, which prevented the season from starting.The draft is Wednesday and Thursday and has been shortened to five rounds because of the pandemic. Baltimore has three picks in the top 39, including the second overall, as Elias hopes to rebuild a team that has lost more than 100 games in each of the past two seasons. — David Ginsburg in Baltimore___ June 8, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Orioles general manager Mike Elias is currently focused on this week’s Major League Baseball draft, but he expects to soon turn his attention toward getting the team ready to play again.