By John BurtonGov. Chris Christie has selected a long involved Republican activist to be the next county clerk. Now it’s up to the state Senate to offer its advice and consent.Christie has tapped Christine Giordano Hanlon, an attorney and vice chairwoman of the Monmouth County Republican Committee, to fill the vacancy when long-serving County Clerk M. Claire retires effective April 1.According to French, Hanlon’s nomination is contingent on the approval of the Senate’s Judiciary Committee. If approved, Hanlon would have to run this November for the clerk’s full five-year term.The judiciary committee was scheduled to convene this week but it was unlikely its members would take up Hanlon’s nomination this quickly, French suspected.“I’m hopeful we can get her nomination approved by the judiciary as soon as possible,” French said.Hanlon, an Ocean Township resident, has been a practicing lawyer for more than 20 years. She currently works for the Archer and Greiner law firm’s Red Bank office, where she focuses on municipal law and civil litigation.Hanlon is also a Republican state committeewoman representing Monmouth County and in 2009 she served on Christie’s transition team for the attorney general’s office. She was the Monmouth County campaign coordinator for Christie on his first run for governor in 2009 and had been the county coordinator for the McCain-Palin GOP ticket in 2008. She has been on the Monmouth County Board of Elections for approximately five years.“She’s a very hard worker and a very capable person,” Thomas Szymanski, executive director for the county Republican committee, said of Hanlon this week.“I’m very honored to have been nominated for this position by Gov. Christie,” Hanlon said on Tuesday. “It’s a very exciting opportunity.”It was with her work with the board of elections that French said she has gotten to know Hanlon, calling her “an expert on election issues.”“And that is a great help in this job,” French maintained.That and her legal background has given Hanlon “a good amount of experience to fill the role,” Hanlon noted. “I can only hope to live up to the standard of excellence that Claire has set,” she added, tipping her hat to the current clerk.The county clerk’s office has responsibilities over recording all property records; oversees the county archives division, for the large collection of public documents, some of which date back to the 17th century; the county passport division, assisting county residents in obtaining their passports; and administering the elections division, requiring the office to prepare ballots, process vote-by-mail applications, tabulate vote totals and certify county results for the New Jersey Secretary of State.Hanlon, in 2012, had unsuccessfully challenged then county GOP chairman John O. Bennett, losing to the former state senator by a very narrow margin. When Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden won the chairmanship from Bennett in 2014, Golden named Hanlon as one of his four vice chairs, dividing the county into sections.French last month announced she would be retiring before finishing her fourth, five-year term, holding the position for 18 years.
The L.V. Rogers Bombers will make a run at a provincial berth during the Kootenay High School Senior Girl’s Basketball Zone tournament this weekend in Castlegar.The Bombers, the top ranked team in the Kootenay zone, take to the court for an important semi final match Saturday, followed by the final, if successful, Mallard’s Source for sports would like to give the Bombers a boost with Team of the Week honours.The members of the team include Sian Nielsen, Shannon Oothuyzen, Allie Zondervan, Naomi Perkins, Ansleigh Dergousoff, Christina Champlin, Roxanne Baker, Katherine Bailey, Katharina Schmidt (Germany), Claire Young and coaches Chris Dergousoff and Willis Parnell.
UNOPPOSED The Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) is set to increase its focus on younger athletes. That’s the word from Dr Warren Blake, the newly returned president of the local track and field body. Blake believes this is the way to keep Jamaica at the pinnacle of the sport after the impending retirement of super sprinter Usain Bolt. Blake’s vision for the future will lead the association to restructure its work committees. Amidst the new groupings will be a strategic planning and international relations committee and one focused on helping good youth athletes to excel at the senior level. “Our main superstar, Dr The Honourable Usain Bolt is going to be retiring next year, and we have to put strategies in place that would keep us at the pinnacle after Usain has gone,” the JAAA president said. With regard to the committee that will target those who will follow in the footsteps of the likes of Bolt, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Asafa Powell and others who have been campaigning for Jamaica since the 2004 Olympics, he explained, “We’ve brought in some people who are skilled at looking after youngsters and we’re going to be really focusing on the youngsters, to give them whatever support they need to make the transition, and we’re going to be staying closer to them than we have done in the past.” Asked to explain why he has been returned to office unopposed, Blake said: “It’s really a testament to the work that has been put in by this administration.” He praised the hard work of the athletes and cited the last four years as “the most successful four years in the history of track and field in Jamaica”. During his time in office, Jamaica has twice won 12 medals – an all-time high – in athletics and last year, placed second on the medal table at the World Championships. “We know”, he asserted, “the athletes work hard and they put in their bit but the support staff that goes with a good programme, the officials, the coaches, they have to be trained to a high level where they can spot talent and hone talent and the officials have to know the rules of the game and be able to enforce it.” According to Blake, training for both coaches and officials will continue. “This is something that we intend to continue and to see that it is stepped up,” he predicted. The JAAA’s annual general meeting was held last night at the Medallion Hall hotel in Kingston.
Borussia Dortmund star Ilkay Gundogan has delayed signing a new deal amid interest from Arsenal and Manchester United.The midfielder’s current contract expires in June 2016 and Dortmund are keen to tie the Germany international down to a long-term deal.However, according to BILD, the 24-year-old has delayed putting pen to paper as speculation grows that Arsenal and Manchester United are preparing summer bids for him.The Premier League pair have been linked Gundogan for some time now and both have been put on red alert by the midfielder’s contract situation.With under 18 months remaining on the German’s contract, Dortmund are aware that this summer will be the last chance for them to really cash in on the 24-year-old if he refuses to sign a new deal.Both Arsenal and Manchester United are said to be willing to part with £16m for the Germany international but Dortmund are still hoping to extend his contract. Ilkay Gundogan in action for Borussia Dortmund 1
The Football Association has charged Manchetser United defender Jonny Evans and Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse for allegedly spitting at each other during the Red Devils’ 1-0 win at St James Park on Wednesday.Both players have been charged with a breach of Rule E1(a) by the governing body.Cisse had issued an apology for his part in the incident, however Evans denied intentionally spitting at the Senegal striker.An FA statement read: “Newcastle United’s Papiss Cisse and Manchester United’s Jonny Evans have both been charged by the FA following their game yesterday [Wednesday 4 March 2015].“The charges are in relation to an alleged breach of FA Rule E1[a] in that in or around the 38th minute of the game the two players spat at each other. The incidents were not seen by the match officials but caught on video.“Both players have until 6pm on Friday 6 March 2015 to respond to the charge.” Papiss Cisse and Jonny Evans 1
A long time ago in a stadium far, far away…we found some footballers who look very similar to characters from Star Wars.To celebrate the release of the new film this week, we’ve found 12 football stars who wouldn’t look out of place on the Millennium Falcon.Watch the video above to get yourself in the mood for both the film, and the weekend’s footballing action!And if this video hasn’t quenched your thirst for Star Wars content, why not check out what these Chelsea fans thought about the club signing some ‘footballers’, who were actually Star Wars characters!For the best sports entertainment on the internet, subscribe to talkSPORT here!
PASADENA – The streak is history, and so too is USC’s claim on the title “greatest of all time.” Vince Young made sure of that when he strutted 8 yards into the end zone with 19 seconds left to give Texas a 41-38 victory over the two-time defending champs in the Rose Bowl on Wednesday night. For the second consecutive year, Young turned college football’s most storied bowl game into his own personal showcase. “This was a night for champions, a championship night,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “Two teams battled all night and did a phenomenal job. … If you have to hand it over, step aside for somebody. That’s a heck of a football team.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonIn a Bowl Championship Series title game that was for once as high on drama as it was on hype, the Longhorns (13-0) erased a 12-point deficit with two touchdowns in the final 4 minutes, 3 seconds to snap USC’s 34-game winning streak and keep the Trojans from becoming the first team ever to win three consecutive Associated Press national titles. Texas’ national title is the fourth in school history and the first since 1970 when it shared the crown with Nebraska. And it gives Young the redemption he coveted after finishing second to USC tailback Reggie Bush in the Heisman Trophy vote. Young completed 30 of 40 passes for 267 yards and rushed 19 times for an additional 200 yards. He ran for three touchdowns on runs of 14, 17 and 8 yards. USC tailback LenDale White ran for 124 yards on 20 carries and scored touchdowns on runs of 4, 3 and 12 yards. But the bruiser came up a yard short on his final run of the game, a 1-yard blast on fourth-and-2 that gave Texas the ball with 2:01 to play. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2239 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Ander Herrera and Paul Pogba dedicated Manchester United’s Europa League triumph in Stockholm to the victims of Manchester terror attack.A suicide bomber killed 22 people and wounded more than 50 at Manchester Arena after an Ariana Grande concert on Monday night.Two days later one of the English city’s two Premier League clubs beat Ajax 2-0 to lift the Europa League trophy for the first time, and after lifting the trophy, Herrera hopes the victory can help the city move forward.READ MORE: Manchester United player ratings: How Red Devils players scored in Europa League final victory over Ajax“When you think about life and football, you have no choice,” Herrera said.“It was difficult to train [on Tuesday], really, really difficult for us.“The manager told us the only thing we could do is to win this for them.“That is what we have done, it is just a football game, just a trophy. But if we can help or support them with this one per cent it is enough for us.”READ MORE: Ajax 0-2 Manchester United: Premier League transfer targets rated and slated Pogba paid tribute to those who had lost their lives. Speaking to BT Sport, the French midfielder said: “We know that things like this are very sad, all over the world: in Manchester, in London and in Paris, too. We had to focus because it was a very important game and we won for them and for the country.“We played for England, we played for Manchester, and we played for the people who died.”Referring to the cup win, which earns United a place in the Champions League next season, Pogba, who opened the scoring before Henrikh Mkhitaryan doubled the lead, continued: “We knew we were going to play in the Europa League and the goal was to win the Europa League.“We did it, so we’re very proud. Some say we had a bad season but the prize is here. We worked hard and we’ll enjoy it now.”
However, he is currently impressing as director of football with Queens Park Rangers and duly turned the opportunity down.It is understood Ferdinand was on a four-man shortlist to replace Dan Ashworth, who is leaving the post in 2019 to join Brighton and Hove Albion.Speaking at a QPR fan forum on Thursday night, the 51-year-old said: “I spoke to them but it wasn’t time for me to leave this football club, I am happy to stay.”Ferdinand has overseen an upturn in QPR’s fortunes after financial troubles in the wake of their relegation from the Premier League, and has put together – along with former England boss Steve McClaren – a side challenging for the Championship play-offs. 2 Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 latest Ferdinand on international duty in 1996, shortly before the European Championships Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos PAYBACK Most Popular Football Stories BEST OF “To be honest, they (FA) contacted the club and asked to speak to me…it’s the national team,” Ferdinand added.“I did speak to the FA and I made my views clear to them. I was flattered they wanted to speak to me because sometimes you read reports and they make you feel like you’re not doing a good job.“But they’ve recognised what we’ve done at this football club.”QPR chief executive Lee Hoos added he viewed the approach as a compliment. 2 revealed LATEST tense The powerful striker formed an almost unstoppable partnership with Alan Shearer at Newcastle United Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT gameday cracker scrap ‘I’ll get him’ – Robertson further endears himself to fans with revenge vow to Mane Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Les Ferdinand revealed he has rejected an interview for the chance to become the Football Association’s technical director.The former Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United striker played for England on 17 occasions during his distinguished playing career. “The way we view it, we are flattered and honoured that they looked at this club,” he said.“This is the national team, the fact that the FA is looking at people who work here shows we have people doing the right thing.”
A Donegal-born businessman has been named as one of the 50 best-paid executives on Wall Street.Liam McGee turned down the chance to run the bailed-out Allied Irish Banks (AIB), where salaries are capped at €500,000 a year.Mr McGee is CEO of Hartford Financial Services, one of the biggest insurance and wealth-management firms in the US. Before he joined the US firm in 2009 he was tipped as the front-runner to manage AIB, following the nationalisation of the bank in the Republic.However, it would have meant signing up for a maximum €500,000-a-year salary and Mr McGee took the job at Hartford instead.In contrast, his starting salary at Hartford in the US was $1.1m (£700,000) in 2009, and has since risen to $1.4m (£900,000).Last year, his take-home pay hit $7.9m (£5.1m), after he landed bonuses of $6.5m (£4.2m). It was enough to see him ranked as the 39th best paid US financial services executive, according to research by Bloomberg.Mr McGee moved to the US at a young age and is little known outside the banking world.Before he moved to Hartford, and before being tipped for the top job at AIB, he headed Bank of America’s consumer and small business unit — serving 50m customers. DONEGAL MAN NAMED AS ONE OF TOP 50 EARNERS IN US was last modified: June 6th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Hartford Financial ServicesLiam McGee