The office building from which the crane fell was heavily damaged, with several of the windows smashed.Officials do not yet have a cause for the collapse. Seattle police are working with the state Department of Labor and Industries on the investigation.Daren Konopaski, business manager for the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 302, says the crane was being dismantled as high winds moved through the area. He adds, “We don’t know, but that’s what seems to have happened here. We are in the process of trying to get information.”A Google spokesperson issued a statement that the company is saddened about the accident and is in communication with Vulcan, the real estate firm managing the site. Tragedy struck Seattle on Saturday, when a construction crane fell from a building at Google’s new campus onto a busy street during heavy winds, killing four people and injuring four more individuals.According to Fire Chief Harold Scoggins, the deceased victims include one female and three males. Two of the dead were reportedly ironworkers who were inside the crane while the other two were inside cars.Scroggins said the crane collapsed near an intersection before 3:30 p.m.Four other people were injured and taken to a local hospital, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said. Two of them, a mother and her 4-month-old baby, have been discharged. She added, “It’s a horrible day in Seattle when something like this happens. But it’s a time when we come together because Seattle is a city that rallies around each other.”Obstruction on Mercer St and Fairview Ave N blocking the EB lanes. Fallen crane on west side of Fairview Ave N and Mercer St intersection. Avoid the area and use alt routes. pic.twitter.com/GLUAXTTjHl— SDOT Traffic (@SDOTtraffic) April 27, 2019
A second Riviera Beach police officer has been fired from his job, after reports surfaced that he had sex with a student of the police departmentOfficer Verley Moyton admitted that he and the 18-year-old, who was enrolled in the city’s Police Explorer Program, had consensual sex.An investigation by the department’s Internal Affairs Division determined that Moyton violated policy and the department’s code of ethics.Riviera Beach Police Department press release. November 14, 2019 pic.twitter.com/XjzM9syGYN— Riviera Beach PD (@RivieraBeachPD) November 14, 2019 Earlier on Thursday, Riviera Beach Police Officer Marc Joseph turned himself in to face two counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor.An investigation reveals that the grandmother of Joseph’s alleged 17-year-old victim spoke with department officials on September 30 about the allegations.The 28-year-old Joseph was relieved of his duties and put on paid leave during the investigation. He has now been terminated from his position.
Police in West Palm Beach say that they have arrested a woman who reportedly began stalking her former boss after she was fired from her job.Brygida Trzaska was arrested on Friday.Authorities say Trzaska was fired in February of last year due to a dispute over her vacation time and sick leave. After her firing, Trzaska began calling her former boss, sending them emails, and even waiting outside of the victim’s home.The victim then sent Trzaska a cease and desist letter, however, Trzaska continued harassing them.She was eventually arrested but has since been released on bond. Her court date is scheduled for March 2nd.
Although the numbers have slowed down, state leaders say it is still very important to continue practicing social distancing whenever possible, and only leave your home for essential services and activities. On Tuesday, Palm Beach County leaders held a news conference for updates on the coronavirus. Leaders said they believe that social distancing within the community seems to be working.“In the next, maybe 30 days or so, we could actually see some hope at the end of the tunnel,” said Dr. Alina Alonso, the health director for the county. “At least a glimmer of a light, perhaps.”Alonso said the latest data shows that the number of new COVID-19 cases in Palm Beach County has started to slowly come down.
Latest posts by Nicole Ouellette (see all) BUCKSPORT — Repairing the football field is top priority as officials look to spend the remaining balance of the $1.5 million approved for Bucksport High School renovations.“As you saw at the end of the year, we were playing in mud,” Bucksport Superintendent Jim Boothby said at a March 4 School Board meeting.Carmichael Field has drainage problems and its turf is worn.In addition, one of the field’s four light poles toppled in a wind storm last year, revealing that the base of the pole was rotted. School officials would like to examine the structural integrity of the remaining poles and possibly replace all four.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textOne estimate for replacing the poles and installing new light fixtures was around $150,000. Boothby said he is now considering wooden replacement poles and transferring the existing lights.The School Department will receive some insurance money toward the cost of replacing the fallen pole.Boothby has met with town councilors, BHS Principal Bob Doar and School Maintenance Supervisor Gary Moulton to discuss possible capital improvement projects at the high school.The School Department has hired George Hanson, a structural engineer on the town’s Planning Board, to investigate how far the $400,000 can stretch.Officials would like to have enough money left over after repairing the field to renovate bathrooms in the high school’s gymnasium lobby area. The bathrooms are not handicapped accessible. The high school’s glass block entryway is also an area officials have eyed for future repairs. The glass is drafty and not energy efficient.Architect firm Oak Point Associates estimated fixing the problem would cost $8 million. Boothby said he hopes to find a cheaper solution. In other business, the School Board discussed the busy transition into a regional school unit. Boothby has spent many days in Augusta and expects many more during the transition.“We don’t have a choice — to do this properly we have to do it this way,” he said.For more details pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. Bio Kickstarter has lots of gray areas – May 5, 2015 Nicole OuelletteColumnist at Breaking Even CommunicationsWhen Nicole isn’t giving advice she’s completely unqualified to give, she runs an Internet marketing company in Bar Harbor, where she lives with her husband Derrick and their short dog Gidget. She loves young adult novels, cooking and talking French to anyone who’ll talk back. email@example.com Ask Nicole: What do I do about ignorant Internet commenters? – April 21, 2015 Hold the pickles and the piercings, please – April 28, 2015 Latest Posts
Bio Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) ELLSWORTH — More than 200 runners and walkers — the largest field ever — turned out Saturday for the eighth annual Jerry Kaufman Memorial 5K Run/Walk and Fun Run held by the James Russell Wiggins Down East Family YMCA.Andrew Kephart, 30, of Ellsworth captured top honors, pulling away from the rest of the field and finishing in 17 minutes, 14.29 seconds.But 29-year-old Sarah Mulcahy of Baring Plantation turned in a superb performance as the first female to finish, placing second overall in 18:22.07.Chris Holt, 53, of Ellsworth placed third in 18:54.27, and Kassie Strout, 24, of Trenton was the women’s runner-up, finishing 16th overall in 21:28.52.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textMale and female age group winners in the 5K:10 and under – Caleb Hicks, 10, of Franklin in 23:26.12 and Sophie Torrance, 10, of Ellsworth in 36:01.96.11-19 – Evan Merchant, 13, of Beals in 20:37.58 and Marilyn Sawyer, 12, of Trenton in 29:55.76.20-29 – Nick Brown, 27, of Ellsworth, fifth overall in 19:24, and Veronica Wentworth, 25, of Franklin in 22:39.22.30-39 – Darren Winchenbach, 33, of Waldoboro, sixth overall in 19:36.41, and Laura Anderson, 38, of Bar Harbor in 22:06.52.40-49 – Adam Murphy, 40, of Hancock, seventh overall in 129:55.33, and Michelle Gagnon, 49, of Ellsworth in 23:14.05.50-59 – Michael Westphal, 57, of Cranberry Isles in 20:46.16 and Kristen Curtis, 55, of Steuben in 22:42.32.60-69 – Bob Ciano, 60, of Castine, fourth overall in 19:07.21, and Jane Ham, 67, of Ellsworth in 26:16.34.70 and over – Lloyd Harmon, 74, of Ellsworth in 25:56.19 and Gina Grogean, 73, of Surry in 52:00.72.Other top 10 finishers were James Perry Jr., 26, of Eastbrook, eighth in 19:55.39; Andy Pereira, 46, of Bass Harbor, ninth in 20:02.38; and Tobin Peacock, 41, of Lamoine, 10th in 20:03.17.Proceeds from the race, part of the Eden Athletics Race Series, go to support Hancock County HomeCare and Hospice. Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. firstname.lastname@example.org Latest Posts Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017
BOSTON — Twelve Hancock County runners will be among the field of 30,000 expected to compete Monday in the 119th annual Boston Marathon.The field for last year’s marathon was 36,000, the second largest ever, as the worldwide running community rallied in solidarity a year after two brothers set off explosions near the finish line in downtown Boston, killing three people and injuring more than 260 others.The Boston Athletic Association, which establishes the field size, set the 2015 number at 30,000, the third largest in the event’s history.From 2009 to 2013, the field size was 27,000. The centennial Boston Marathon in 1996 had the largest field ever at 38,708.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textImproved public safety measures were put into place last year by Boston officials, especially along the final two miles of the race.More uniformed and undercover officers are now deployed along the route, and more than 100 cameras and 50 observation points are used to monitor the crowd, which reaches upward of a million spectators.At Monday’s race start in Hopkinton, those making the 26-mile run will be grouped into four waves, with departure times at 10, 10:25, 11 and 11:25 a.m.Local runners competing in this year’s marathon include Gary Allen, 58, of Cranberry Isles; Lori Bartlett, 46, of Bar Harbor; Robin L. Clarke, 45 of Ellsworth; Matt Homich, 26, of Ellsworth; Warren W. Hughes, 46, of Ellsworth; Britt L. Hulbert-Sosa, 45, of Bar Harbor; Aaron Long, 35, of Bar Harbor; James Newett, 57, of Ellsworth; Andrew T. Toemann, 57, of Ellsworth; Timothy Tunney, 40, of Ellsworth; Lisa A. Tweedie, 52, of Bar Harbor; and Jennifer L. Vandongen, 37, of Bar Harbor. Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. email@example.com Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 Latest Posts Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) Bio GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017
ELLSWORTH — Soccer players from five Hancock County high schools were announced Monday as All-Penobscot Valley Conference selections.On the Class B boys’ team, Ellsworth’s Tulas Weaver and Mount Desert Island’s Ben Hulbert, Nate Philbrook and Trevor Morrison earned first-team selections. Ellsworth’s Pascal Poirier and MDI’s Leao Nelson were chosen to the second team.Sumner’s Silas Goldfarb, Damon Warren and Aidan Weaver were named to the Class C first team, as was GSA’s Andrew Zefanya. Hancock County also had numerous selections to the second team (Parker Allen and Owen Vinall, GSA; Christian Chase-Hurd, Bucksport) and third team (Nate Mason and Austin Snow, GSA; Hunter Klenowski, Bucksport; Eduardo Figueroa, Sumner).GSA’s Mark Ensworth was named Class C Boys’ Coach of the Year. The Eagles made their third Northern Maine final in four years and were unbeaten against Class C teams in the regular season.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textEllsworth’s Addi Laslie and Paige Sawyer and MDI’s Daisy Granholm (PVC Girls’ Player of the Year) and Lelia Weir were named first-team selections for the Class B girls. The Eagles’ Julie Mattson was chosen to the second team.In Class C, Bucksport’s Ella Hosford and GSA’s Vanessa Sherwood were named to the second team. Madison Cyr (Bucksport) and Silas Murnik (GSA) were named third-team selections.Local players also earned Maine Soccer Coaches Association All-Region selections. Granholm, Sherwood and Skylar Soule (Sumner) were named to the Northern Maine girls’ teams in their respective classes, and Goldfarb, Mason, Nelson, Warren, Snow and Zefanya were chosen to the boys’ teams.
ELLSWORTH — Ellsworth High School alum Dan Curts became the sixth Mainer in history to run a sub-4-minute mile when he did so Feb. 21 at the University of Washington.Curts, who competed as an unattached runner, crossed the finish line in 3 minutes, 59.29 seconds to place first of 23 finishers. He joins Will Geoghegan, Matt Lane, Riley Masters, Erik Nedeau and Matt True as Mainers to accomplish the feat.At Ellsworth High School, Curts, a 2014 graduate, was an 11-time state champion. He was named the Maine Gatorade Boys’ Cross-Country Runner of the Year for the 2012 season and the Track and Field Athlete of the Year for the 2013-14 winter and spring seasons.Last spring, Curts graduated from Iowa State University, where he ran cross-country, indoor track and outdoor track. He was a three-time All-Big 12 runner in cross-country (2014, 2017, 2018) as well an indoor All-American and the Big 12’s 5,000-meter outdoor champion in 2019.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text
Mumbai: Middle-order batsmen Shreyas Iyer and Manish Pandey will lead the India A teams in the five one-day matches against South Africa A starting later this month in Thiruvananthapuram, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement on Monday.The senior selection committee of the board met here to pick the India A squads for the upcoming five-match series. Pandey will lead the team picked for the first three matches, while the team for the remaining two games will be led by Shreyas Iyer.The one-day series will be played at The Sports Hub, Thiruvananthapuram, starting August 29.Delhi Capitals skipper Iyer, 24, recently hit back-to-back fifties in the final two ODIs in the West Indies to help India clinch the three-match series 2-0 after the first match got washed out.Pandey, who played in all the three T20Is in the West Indies which preceded the one-dayers, failed to impress with the bat. The players who have been picked for all the five matches include Shubman Gill, Anmolpreet Singh, Nitish Rana, Ricky Bhui, Vijay Shankar, Shivam Dube, Axar Patel and Shardul Thakur. IANSAlso Read: Former India Skipper Sunil Gavaskar Bats for Shreyas Iyer at 4Also Watch: More than 300 Congress members join BJP in Sarupathar